Sunday, May 25, 2008

Choice: NTU VS NUS

So like 1 month ago, i was offered triple E in NTU (Electrical and Electronic Engineering). About 2 weeks ago, i received an email telling that i was offered triple E in NUS too. Cause i put both of them as my first choice thus boy, was i surprised when i received the letter (like real). Lols. I was really surprised partly cause my physics was a C. I thought they do take a look at that. The main reason why i was surprised was, my reaction when i received the letter was "huh? im really going to do EEE ah? omg" rather than "yes! i got it!", though the latter reaction did kind of seep in later on.


I hate physics, i really hate physics. But i'm a self declared geek. I love computer and hardware. I can totally imagine the newspaper saying "central processing unit with 32 cores finally stabilized by engineer in Intel led by Lee Wen Qin". But I can totally NOT imagine myself working on that tiny core whilst doing all the crazy calcalutions which are so going to be physics. Right now, i still can't decide, is it going to be engineering? If not, then what should i do? I have no idea at all. But yet i can't take my time and compete with my juniors next year cause i'm so sure that they will all do better than me since they had my batch as the guinea pigs. Oh well. 船到桥头自然直. 走一步算一步吧. (alert, juniors pls dont follow my footsteps)


NTU had their tea reception and NUS had their orientation. I knew i had to go for both to make an informed decision. And so i went.


NTU
It was held at Marina Mandarin. Yep, where my graduation night was held, in the same room. I didn't go with any friends, neither did i spot anyone there that i know of. You know, i always base my choice of education depending on where my friends were, though i didnt always get what i want. This is the first time i didnt go with the herd. (cause i totally can't imagine myself doing business, medicine or aeronautical engineering?) It felt kind of lonely, and weird. Weird because, the guys are dressed in flip flops? The girls are like, totally not appealing? Lady luck must have not been on my side for the girls part. Gosh, will i become like those guys? Flip flops and berms in a hotel? Unthinkable.

Nonetheless, the event started with a almost full house attendance. Before that i spoke to this lecturer.



I didnt even realise its him until the conversation ended, my god. Anyways NTU was quite informative. The direct honours is quite appealing though i cant imagine me getting a first class honours. The food was not bad but too many people chionged for it. Would be nice if they had taken away that video they borrowed from EDB. That was totally no point. At least NTU didnt scare us with previews of theory work.


NUS
It was held at NUS. Gosh, it was so far away (from my house that is). It was very annoying that i had to find my way to LT6 myself. I walked to this linkway only to find out that it was blocked by labs. It was really a disaster for a directional-idiot such as myself to look for that LT. The bad part about NUS's orientation was really due to me not able to stay throughout as i was booking in later. But still, its shocking to see the LT less than 1/3 filled. I thought, that must speak "volumes" of how NUS is like. I didnt like the look of that, seriously. However, the admin did a good job explaining to us about the course. I felt that it sounded more appealing than NTU's. But the momentum had to be broken by someone who cant speak well. Oh well i guess everyone has their first time but seriously, choose someone better next time. You know how many people fell asleep? The bulk of the orientation was about this orientation gamey thingy that you have to join a group and go to their labs to learn about projects then answer a questionaire to win prizes. I had to choose one that sounded most fun cause i aint going to stay throughout anyways. Mixed reality was interesting. But it was at that station that i realised that NUS reeked of a foul smell. The smell of geeks. Somehow, it was a "foul" smell. I cant explain it, it just feels, awful even though i declare myself a geek.


Leaving soon after the NUS orientation thingy didnt help me to make a choice. But looking at things now, i think i'll choose NTU cause seriously, the response was bad at NUS for a reason. That reason i do not know but i choose to believe that the majority has to be right.


Gosh this must had been the hardest decision of my life. I have no friends to turn to cause even i myself dont know what i want to do. Dear me... the deadline is on its way...

No comments: