Friday, September 12, 2008

Event: Island Wide Confidence Driving

154km. 300mins of driving. A skilled driver like myself.


This aptly sums up my activities today. Maybe except for the skilled driver part.



This is the end of the 3rd week of my driving course. I havnt blogged about it at all until now cause i'm always too tired by the time i reach back home. The most i blogged were short little posts. Anyways learning to drive in a military institution is extremely different from civilian i believe. I shant elaborate at this point of my entry but anyhow, i've already passed everything. Highway code theory test, highway situational theory test, parking test and the actual driving test, i've passed all of them in one try. How much better (luckier) a driver can i be?


From this course, i've learnt that Singaporeans are extremely atrociously horribly lousy and reckless and inconsiderate road users. Be it pedestrians or drivers, they all make me dread driving so much all the time, even now that i've gotten my license.


Trucks and sports cars cutting into your lane without signalling at high speed, taxis suddenly lane-changing into your lane and stop right in front of you without warning, drivers who refuse to give way to let me lane change, drivers who horned me just because i'm a little slow in making a right turn, drivers who refused to give way to major road vehicles and insist on barging out to their exit, pedestrians who are sotong-ish blur and cross the road without realising that a wobbly L-plate driver is making a right turn, jay walkers who dash across the road thinking that the stupid military jeep wont go any faster. I had my fair share of near accidents and i am glad that im still alive to tell my story. But i'll bet that i wont be driving much even after i get my civilian license. At least not with a manual vehicle.



Now, i wont say im a confident driver, neither am i a good driver. But i guess i can make it from one point to another in one piece. I just proved myself today that i can make it on the expressway. drive 154km in 300mins and not doze off. Not bad. 50km more to end my island wide confidence driving.

No comments: