Thursday, September 09, 2010

Oh Yeah It's Uni Life! - It's Okay To Be Busy

I have 3 CCAs and 6 modules in semester one right now. My friends all say the same things to me. "Are you crazy? Isn't that taking up a lot of your time? You can cope?"

My answers are always the same. "No I am not crazy. Yes that is taking up a lot of my time but better lots of time taken up than none. I can barely cope but it just takes a ton of discipline."

I always squirm when I hear people say that they don't have any CCAs or they are reluctant to join this and that. University is full of life, full of activities. It is filled with lots of opportunities. However there is one downside. Compared to secondary school and junior college, we have to seek them out. These chances to learn, to have fun and to widen our social circle don't come to us, we have to find and go to them. If the university offers so much, why will you want to take up only so little? I understand the fact that people say its "very sian to try new things". Simply put, human beings have a great deal of reluctance to step out of their comfort zone. But I will say this to these people, take one small step at a time. You don't have to rush. Some people are concerned with their academic results. Concerning that, let me ask you, are you studying a lot nowadays? Really really really studying and focusing all your time on your academia just to keep up? The answer more often than not, is no. Most of the time, people choose to procrastinate, people choose to slack. There is no wrong in that. It's just that those activities can be put to better use. You can always make your CCAs become leisure activity, and just extend your real resting hours so that you can convince yourself to put away all that procrastination. Though I say this, people whose answer is yes to my previous question should perhaps relook at whether CCAs are viable activities or not.

Frankly many a times, we will be struggling with our academia with or without CCAs anyway. So why not just enrich your university life with a little variety? It is okay to be busy. Do not afraid to be busy. Do not feel pressured when your entire week is occupied. With time, you will get used to it. I heard this excellent quote from my discipline master in Temasek Junior College. What are the ten most important two-letter words in English? "If it is to be, it is up to me". Nothing is quite impossible, if only you try. So while you are here in university, take part, don't lose time, don't miss out on your youth. Put away your excuses. Step up on your self discipline.
A busy life is a life worth living. Take that first step.

PS. When I say CCAs here, I also refer to out-of-curriculum activities such as workshops, talks etc.

2 comments:

r said...

Can you please explain this system of 'halls' ?
Do I get to pick my hall?
Which one should I choose if I want double sharing (or more?), something affordable, and I'm not good at sports?

techiewen said...

Hi it's a bit long and complicated. Do email me if you want to know more.