Saturday, November 05, 2011

Brain Storm: Talk To Me

Humans are creatures which communicate. Our method of communication is complex, even without words. But what exactly sets us and other animals apart when it comes to survival would be words. As human beings, we are meant to talk to each other. That's how we get our ideas across. We are suppose to be social creatures.

I remember there was a Facebook question spreading around asking "What do you think is the most important thing in a relationship?" There were a few options, among them were "Trust", "Communication", "Sex" and some other crap. Most would say trust. But I say communication. How many people can have so much faith from the start? You need to build faith up, you need to build trust up. It's true that words alone won't do, actions are needed too. But communication is the method to get that done. It is needed to give reassurance, to clear misunderstandings, to apologise for mistakes. Nobody is a mind reader. Thousands of scenarios are possible just from one misjudged fact.
The folly of men is when we assume a knowledge not given to us.

I remember telling myself this when I'm in secondary 3. As I get older I think it applies more than ever, especially to people important to you in your life. Assumptions always causes mistrust. And it'll take more to maintain relationships or friendships than we were in our innocent young selves.

So talk to me. I'm not afraid of awkwardness. Communication will overcome that. I'm not afraid of the overwhelming truth. I can handle that. I'll be here and I won't run away. Just talk to me.

2 comments:

Yong Wen said...

Your first paragraph almost made you sound like Plato..

techiewen said...

lol never read his works before, is that a good or bad thing?