Monday, November 19, 2007

First Job

Finally after 18 years of free loading, i went for the first job in my life, feeling pretty excited. As i am enlisting soon, i reckon any proper part time job will not employ me, thus i went for the temporary jobs. And my very first one is flyer distribution in Bukit Batok. Sounds easy, but its door to door. If it still sounds easy, for your information, its 2000 pieces per assignment, no less to get paid. That translate to about 20 blocks of apartments in Singapore. If it still sounds easy, read on.


On friday night, i recieved the reply mail, asking if i can make it for the assignment on Saturday. I told my friends about it and two friends agree that its an easy task. I even said "TWO HOURS AND A HALF SHOULD BE ENOUGH" and one agreed. How naive.

I went for my very first job with a little excitement, feeling a little nervous. But my boss was late (-_-) so the wait removed all those feelings. Anyhow, after the admin matters, i quickly set off for my blocks at 12.11pm. Suddenly i realised that all the blocks i'm assigned in Bukit Batok are old towns. Guess what? They're all built with weird structures, and for every floor, the corridors are blocked off. Simply put, every floors, the corridors does not link from one end to the other. The corridors only linked for every 5 floors. So what does that mean? That means, that i have to do double trips for every single block, unless i prefer to keep climbing down and up which obviously is a lousier choice as i will be doing work against the Earth's gravity. At first, i only walked briskly. Then i realise that i took too long for one block and increased my pace. Then i realise that by the time i reached the third block, i'm already drenched in sweat. Then i realise, that not eating before hand was a bad, bad idea.


When i finished the 4th block, i took a small break. I went to buy plasters for the blisters on my toes and i called my friend Yinning. For what? Lol, to grumble. Thats because i spoke to her the night before. So after complaining how tough the job was, i carried on. Most of the doors were closed. But sometimes there were a few that were opened. And once in a while, i would see another teenager just like me, lying on the sofa being a crouch potato. Then i recall how i always grumble to my younger brother about having nothing to do at home. At that point in time, i really wished that i had nothing to do. I rather that, man.

After my 8th block, i smsed my friend Leonard, to grumble too. On and off i recieve SMSes. A few from Danny and Gerald. When i reach my 9th or 10th block, i was already at the point that my legs are so numb from the pain that i just CHIONG the block, and CHIONG back down to rest, before i CHIONG up again.

The final moments of my first job came soon at my 13th block. It has 25 levels and by the time i reach the 20th floor, my knee abrasion came back. I couldnt climb the stairs anymore. I told myself that i had to do it (cause of the pay). And i struggled for the next 20 levels. I cant believe i managed to do it. But i strongly believed that anymore, i will die. So i SMSed my boss and tell him that im sorry that i cant continue. My boss was a nice guy and tried to help me ask his employer if he can give me half the pay. Today i received his SMS saying that it was approved. With graditude, seriously.

Guess what time was it at that moment when i gave up? It was 8.30pm. Remember what time i did start? 12.10pm. When i finished 1000 flyers, it was already 5pm. 2 hours 30mins? In the end i took double of what i claimed i will take.


Lessons learnt:
1) Do not use a sling bag to contain the flyers. Your shoulder will ache like crazy like mine now.
2) Wear shorts. No jeans, no long pants.
3) Wear a more comfortable top which absorbs sweat well.
4) Eat well before the assignment, and drink plenty of water.
5) New towns only, no more old towns for me.
6) Never ever overestimate yourself or underestimate the job.


Currently, i have a knee abrasion, 2 aching shoulders, 2 swelling thighs, and 2 blistering toes. And i smell like Tiger Balm now. I guess it was a good experience. But maybe it wasnt worth it for all my injuries now.

No comments: