Sunday, April 06, 2008

Events: Pieces of BMT (2)

Event: Sports Day



I volunteered myself into cheerleading committee for sports day, something which i regret soon after. I wasn't really that keen but in the end i guess i'm ok with it. Hawk cheers are quite cool, but those cheers aren't really meant to be loud, so we lose out in a sense. I was surprised at how free and easy was sports day. People really walked around like nobody's business. I went to talk to Guan Wen for quite long before joining back to do some cheers. Then i went to find Danny but i didn't manage to find him. Sports Day was really wet. It rained heavily and stopped again and again. Everyone was pretty much wet by the end of everything. Furthermore i tio 3 waterbombs from Griffon. I think they mistook me for someone else. Afterall my surname is also Lee. My section mates threatened to roll me in the mud since my special day was just the day before and i promptly volunteered to bring the tables back to our company line and escaped the deadly fate. Wearing soggy socks and wet shoes for dinner wasn't all that great either. But at least Hawk didn't get last for sports day this time round.





Event: Passing Out Parade




We waited 9 weeks just for this. Even other companies did not rehearse as many times as we did. And boy i was impressed. I didn't know we could march this well. After the 5 giants right markers marched into the parade square, the drum roll for us started. Quietly, i mumbled "left right left right left right left" under my breath. I felt a heavy pressence in my chest, i couldn't tell if it was nervousness or sadness. After we marched in, i couldn't see my parents. The drum beat finally ended, bringing us to a halt. Halfway singing Stand Up for Singapore and the Infantry Song, it started to rain. After welcoming the guests of honour and saluting with our rifles, we proceeded with the march pass. As soon as our parents were out of sight, we ran to the tonners and said goodbye to our rifles. After that we immediately put on our cap (supposed to be put on by parents but it was raining heavily) and ran into the parade square singing
"Training to be soldiers, fight for our land, once in our life, two years of our time. Have you ever wondered? Why must we serve? Because we love our land, and we want it to be free, to be free ah!
Stand up! and be on your guard. Com'on everybody, do your part. Com'on every soldier, soul and heart. Do it for your nation. Do it for your Singapore ah!
Looking all around us, people everywhere. Children having fun, while we are holding guns. Have you ever wondered? Why must we serve? Because we love our land, and we want it to be free, to be free ah!"
Then we did the stupid BMTC roar
"We are the warriors of BMTC, spirit of bayonet in our blood. Don't mess with us, cause we are the best. We are the best in the SAF. BMTC will crush you, HA! crash you HA! BMTC will shape you HA! toughen you HA! Through basics, we excel! Through basics, we excel!"
Then we threw our caps up, signifying the end of our recruit's life. There and then, we were promoted to privates.





This special day came with mixed feelings. Part of me don't want it to end, but a larger part of me can't wait to book out of Tekong for the last time. I slept quite well the previous night, without tears, without brooding, without having flash backs. But somewhere somehow, i guess i didn't want it to end. The good 9 weeks i had with my fabulous section was memorable. I can remember the bad times clearly, but the bad times then had all become good times to me already. Happily yet sadly, it all ended on this day called POP.





Then we sang our last song, as Hawk Coy, for Hawk Coy...

"the sun will rise the stars will shine for us for you and me ah, we are from Hawk Coy, Hawk Company ah... Hawk Coy... Hawk Coy... We are from Hawk Comppppannnyyy! Hawk Coy... Hawk Coy! We are from Hawk Comppppannyyyy!!!

the boys will shout the girls will scream for us for you and me ah, we are from Hawk Coy, Hawk Company ah... Hawk Coy... Hawk Coy... We are from Hawk Comppppannnyyy! Hawk Coy... Hawk Coy! We are from Hawk Comppppannyyyy!!!"



No comments: