Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sights And Sounds: All In A Day's Work

It was sunny and I decided to go for a swim at Hougang swimming pool. A few observations I made deserve to be noted.

1) There were swimming lessons going on and there's this coach who was disciplining his students. He asked his student which lap he was doing and his student replied "third lap". I was surprised when the coach corrected him and said "You should say it correctly. This is my third lap." I'm glad to see educators in different aspects making an effort to rid Singapore youths of undesirable speech habits.

2) I was changing out after I was done in the changing room when I noticed about 4 or 5 students from my secondary school. They were noisy, and childish. They were mainly teasing each other about changing into their swimming attire outside the cubicles, as if some of them have balls and some don't. Intriguing. Kids will be kids. Then again, I wasn't like that when I was younger.

3) I then went to Hougang Mall's Popular bookshop. I was browsing through some guides for my tuition students when I overheard this secondary school couple talking about Ten Year Series (TYS). The girl was commenting that it's about time to get one and she wants to buy the nicest looking one. Such a wise decision.

4) On my way back, I saw one of my army camp mates. We weren't close, but we talk sometimes and do acknowledge each other's existence. To my surprise, he already forgot about me and worse still, he pretended that he knows me. He was exposed when he asked me when am I going to enlist. It's so disturbing and awkward that I quickly finished off the conversation and left. Did my appearance change so much? Or was I that insignificant? I hope I was insignificant. If he forgot about me cause he can't recognise me, it would really be quite sick.


All in a day's work.

No comments: