Sunday, January 17, 2010

Tech Speak: Your Email Is You

Read this article from Lifehacker.com about your email addresses and domains.

Your email says a lot about you. Lately, I have been preaching about how important it is to my friends, especially since we're all stepping deeper into society. That cheesy email address of yours will work no more. I mean like, what do you expect your employers and colleagues to think of "frens4va@hotmail.com" or "hotstud88@hotmail.com"? It is not professional, it does not portray a good image of you.

Then comes your domain. Okay, I used to use hotmail and perhaps I did not use the newer versions of it well enough to know if it is good (since i jumped boat to Gmail since 2004 and since never looked back). I do use it once in a while and it never fails to "impress" me. Furthermore, it gives an impression that only unprofessional people uses it. Maybe it's just me, but even yahoomail sounds so much more appealing to me. As the article above stated, the aol domain sounds so 1996. Thus in truth, your domain speaks a little about you, though there are indeed people who are less judgemental about it but hey, don't take that chance.

Everyone should have at least one yahoomail account or even better, Gmail, whose username is your own name. Eg. alvinli@gmail.com. If your username is taken, try other sequences such as lialvin@gmail.com or li.alvin@gmail.com or alvin.li@gmail.com.
I am always relieved when I hear my friends say that they actually already have a formal email account with Gmail that spells their name out. Good job there.

No comments: