Monday, June 06, 2011

Brain Storm: A Master Of Dual Personality

I have done 2 major personality tests till now (not that I thoroughly believe in them), but they have been fairly accurate. I recall talking to my fellow student leaders about our own results and how mine was pretty close to most of them. It then came to the topic of dual personalities. I do suppose some prefer to call it putting on a mask. And I will not deny the fact that sometimes that is the case, especially when I was younger. Still, it dawned on me quite some time ago then I can switch my personality aspects according to the situation though sometimes it takes a quite a bit of willpower to switch.

For eg., we were talk about how most of us are originally introverts. However we can become extroverts if we want to. Is it really putting on a mask? I don't really think so. Because if I reflect back, I guess I truly enjoyed the moments as an extrovert and it is not exactly against my choice. Still, we do agree that it takes energy to do that. When I go to camps, I have to switch my personality to that of an extrovert (if not no point right?). By the end of a camp, I'm usually very exhausted. Not physically, but mentally because I switched to a personality which is the opposite of my original.

This is just but one example. Perhaps this is the easiest personality trait to switch, which is why many people think of it as putting on a mask. For the Myers-Briggs personality test, the only personality trait which I strongly lean towards is Introvert. For those who don't know, Myer Briggs consist of 4 traits. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator

Extrovert-Introvert
Sensing-Intuition
Thinking-Feeling
Judgement-Perception (in general they are either a rational side or an irrational side)

My personality results is INTJ, but for N T and J, I'm quite in between and am able to switch according to situation or to my preference.

As for the 4 Temperaments, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Temperaments

Choleric (workerholic, passionate, driven, ambitious)
Sanguine (extroverted, energetic, sensitive)
Melancholic (perfectionist, emotional, independent)
Phlegmatic (rational, observant, prefer stability)

I scored high for Choleric, mid score for Melancholic and Phlegmatic, and negative score in Sanguine. Things might have changed since I took the test, but in general I am able to move traits a little here and there as well. I think the temperaments are more like personality types compared to Myer Briggs types. It's easier to describe how we change using Myer Briggs compared to the temperaments.

Analysing personalities is one of my hobbies since secondary school, since I'm pretty good at it. It can get pretty complicated but I really think that there is hardly any "simple" people in the world. Everyone has a dark side and everyone has their own shift in personalities depending on the situation. A person can change drastically when in stress, in doubt or in love for example.

Still, due to my own complicated personality, which even my friends mentioned of before, I always have to be careful and differentiate between what is real and what is not. Am I truly enjoying myself as an extrovert? Or am I forcing myself to be sanguine by putting on a mask? This dual personality thing isn't easy.

2 comments:

Yong Wen said...

ISTJ here. Almost similar.

techiewen said...

I actually can't remember if I'm sensing or intuition. Haha. Might actually be ISTJ too.