Friday, June 17, 2011

Brain Storm: Piercings

The 2 ear piercings on my left ear lobes are good conversation starters, at least in university camps. This is especially true with girls. I think it's a general first impression that guys with piercings are like ah bengs, gangsters that kind. What more when I have two? Most of the time, new friends (ladies especially) won't come up and talk to me, probably because they had a poor first impression (I'm not too sure if guys have poor impression of me when they see my piercings though). However as time passes by during a camp, they slowly realised that I'm not that bad (or, maybe they like bad boys), and they'll come up to me and ask me why did I pierce my ears. That's when it gets interesting. My piercings are not done the normal way, ie. I did not use the gun piercing but needles which are a lot more painful. When I describe how my ears were pierced by needles to them, their expression of disgust, awe, and respect is intriguing and amusing. You'll be surprised how some guys give me the same look too. What is even more interesting is that the girls will then start going around telling other girls and after a moment I'll be surrounded by girls. I know what you're thinking - I'm not far fetched it really happened okay?

I won't say I crave attention, but I won't deny that I enjoy attention either. But these piercings are interesting and I don't really regret getting them. Sure, they don't give very good first impression and it's usually to my disadvantage but I prefer to impress people using my inner beauty, or personality, or whatever you call it. I don't think I do a very lousy job at recovering the bad first impression I cast with my appearance. Further, I can close my ear holes any time I want if I think that I don't want them anymore.

The reason I got 2 piercings instead of 1 is because I wanted to be different. Many people sport single piercings these days. I also chose to pierce on my left ear because I'm a left hander rather than because of the saying that goes "left is right, right is wrong" (which means if you pierce on your left side, you are straight, and if you pierce on your right, you are gay). If tattoos aren't permanent you'll be sure that I'm full of them by now. I'm an accessories person and I think accessories make a person look way better. I used to be very fixated on that when I was younger. I was always donning choker and chains. Now I prefer simply and easy. I think spectacles, watches, hair style (not exactly an accessory but well..), ear studs all make a simple but impressionable difference. That said, you usually see me in my bare minimum nowadays though. I think maturity does make a difference with how I view accessories after a while. Simple is good. But my piercings aren't bad either.

What did you think of me the first time you saw me?

No comments: