Monday, May 31, 2010

Brain Storm: Diversity Of Intellect


This is an excerpt from Sundown Marathon 2010 Facebook group. Sundown was pretty screwed up and many people were complaining. Then this girl popped up and suggested that the organising committee might be from NTU/NUS (which is totally impossible anyway since Hivelocity was the organiser).

I think this is inevitable. There is social disintegration in our country and many who are in good schools (but may not be doing very well) tend to not know much about the intellect structure. Some people think of it as elitism when smarter-than-average-Singaporeans complain about how they are not good enough. Many of my friends are in this category. We were never exposed to the so called less intellectually inclined people (okay we do but not to many of the people out there). When I was in JC, my friend told me how as long as you are in a JC, you are already considered smart and minority of the society makes up the JC faction. I was like "you've got to be joking".

Until I entered the army, I never faced the actual society breakdown. And even after that, I never considered myself to be, well, smarter than average. I'm always surrounded by smart people so I guess I can call it peer influence. However I have also learnt to be more tactical and careful with my words when I complain about my stupidity, though I doubt I am sensitive enough.

Anyway, call me an elitist (I know I am one, but the difference is that I try to curb it), I find the above comments funny. Like, funny in a sarcastic way.

To some people: NUS/NTU students are smart? How more shallow can you be?
To yet some other people: you guys sound like you're sour because you're not university students. hah!

No comments: