Sunday, May 22, 2011

Brain Storm: How I Respect My Teachers

My Higher Chinese teacher in secondary school said before that she was upset when her ex student came back to visit her and called her by her name. It feels terribly wrong to call someone older than you and the person who imparted precious knowledge to you without any salutations. I remember how she said it to this day. That's why I have never called a teacher who taught me before by his or her name.

However just now when I met my JC tutor for a drink, he told me that I should call him by his name though I have not been doing that for the 3 years since I graduated. I guess it's because he's a young teacher and feels that we should be friends instead of just teacher and student. I guess I'll comply, but I still think that calling my teachers by their salutation is the simplest respect I can give.

No comments: