Friday, May 13, 2011

Brain Storm: A Thousand Birthday Wishes

My birthday this year had passed long ago. As usual, I can count the number of people who wished me happy birthday with my fingers. And no, my Facebok wasn't flooded with messages. The reason is because you won't find my birthday anywhere on the internet. Since secondary school times, I refrained from telling people my birthday because I find it pointless. More than the fact that it is just "another day", those who wanted to make you feel special on that day would have remembered your birthday.

Granted, some people need reminders and most people these days count it on Facebook rather than good old calendar. However you must admit that 90% of the people who wished you on Facebook "happened to see it" and maybe half of them can't remember when was the last time you interacted with them. The sincerity is not there. On the day when I was supposed to be king of the world, I can't find it more empty than having a thousand birthday wishes from people whom you know probably don't give half shit about you on any other day. Let's face it, how many friends from your hundreds of Facebook friends are truly your friends?

Unfortunately, I do agree that new friends need an avenue for birthday date. It will seem odd for people to go up to a new friend and ask for his/her birthday for recording purposes. These days Facebook is really the way to go. Then again there are also those people who get minimal well wishes despite showcasing their birth dates to the world (which is really sad). I guess I should try that next year to see whether I'm one of those people.

No comments: