Monday, May 23, 2011

Brain Storm: My Role Model - Helen Keller

I mentioned that when I was in secondary school, I did a personality test. The test was pretty comprehensive. It showed me my strengths and weaknesses in each area and how to enhance or curb them. They also categorise us according to personality types and each type has a sort of role model attached to it.

My role model was Helen Keller. The test said that I was like her because I believed in one thing. It was the famous quote which she said.

I am only one. But still I am one. I can only do something. But still there is something I can do. I will not refuse to do that something which I can do - Helen Keller.


Apparently my perfectionist and high-and-mighty personality makes me compelled to do something which I feel strongly about or something which I think my contribution will make a difference. I've always wanted to be a commander in the army because I feel that I will be able to make better of the soldiers' lives, though that dream never happened. I wanted to be a policeman because of how self righteous I am (but too bad I was underweight). I guess a nice way of phrasing it is that I am helpful. But it really is in me to want to do something if I feel that I can contribute in my own way.

Strangely enough, this personality and quote which I believe in has gotten me into trouble enough times in my lifetime. Yet I still keep going. I mentioned how jaded I was, leading the my club on my Facebook. I said I wanted to step down. I'm not sure how many people agrees with what a friend said, but he commented that "You will not (step down)". Somehow, I think that will be exactly it. Should I be happy about this? I'm not sure. But I still strongly believe in Helen Keller's spirit. If you can do something, don't refuse to do it, even if you are but one. Because you can affect lives positively. Because you can make the difference.

No comments: