Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Brain Storm: The Water That Reflects My Body, Mind And Soul (The Beginning)

2 years ago, I was excited about entering the army. Finally, I am going to become rock solid fit and the army will force me to eat healthily. My friend used to say that he will just pretend that it's just some extended chalet and try to enjoy all the outdoors. I guess we never thought deeply enough, and we didn't know the army enough. I really cannot recall being worried at all, though I did make preparations just in case I couldn't sleep on the first day of enlistment. (I barely slept the day before on purpose, so that I would be so tired that I will fall asleep on the first day easily)

The Story... 2 days before I enlisted, I sms-ed my friend who enlisted already, and I did the same 1 day before I enlisted to 2 other friends. They both sounded alright. No big deal. But we all didn't know the first few days was just the relaxing administrative days. When I went to the interchange, I saw Tsun Wang and that really put me at ease. But I began to tense up as we boarded the ferry and went up the steps towards the back of the auditorium. Many people said they felt detached from civilian-ness when they gave their pink IC to the army. Being truly innocent and oblivious, I didn't. Even when we met the CSM and he spoke in such military style to us, I still thought that everything's gonna be fine. When we responded to him, we were zealous, we were loud. I felt that I was so into it (like Yayyyy! Army!! lol). The sadness sank in starting from the time CO spoke to me in the cookhouse, telling me to eat more. When it's time for the parents to leave, I really felt tears in my eyes. Mum pat on my head and told me to take care. I told her "不用担心, 我会照顾自己"

"Don't worry, I'll be alright, I can take care of myself."


So it begins. BMT wasn't the toughest thing I went through, despite me being only a LCP. Though it was intense, it probably wasn't as tough as it was supposed to be cause the garang spirit was still strong. I remember having the ADF in my platoon, along with a certain white horse.

Here's a few things that's imprinted deeply in my mind.

1) I happened to meet Guan Wen when I was collecting my kit, I still had my hair while his was gone. I remember we were discussing on "How we were told to wear our socks". That's the army for you.
2) I remember all the recruits mass called our parents on the first day, cause we were forced to. I hanged up promptly. At that time I still did not miss home that much.
3) I remember dragging my duffel bag to the 3rd floor and feeling tired. Wonder how the rest bring up to their 4th level bunk and 5th level bunk.
4) I remember asking my section commander if I can wear my knee support as if to do so was a crime. I was so afraid that he will scream "NO!" Instead he just said "Sure, make sure you don't get injuries from the army, it's not worth it" and my eyes just went O_o
5) Quite a few of my personal equipment were wrong size. I was totally freaked out cause I thought it was my fault when I keyed my data into the system. Turned out my platoon kept saying that he will make sure that our equipment were perfect.
6) On the first day, (even after many days from then), there were lots of sniffing at night. Lol, guys have emotions too.
7) My platoon sergeant confess that he "sniffs" everyday during his BMT. We were all so shocked, yet impressed, cause he's such a mature looking guy but he has his soft sides too. He loves his mother so much.
8) During the first few days, I called Yinning to wish her happy birthday. I was already on the verge of tears, then she passed the phone to Ching Yee. I was totally like "omg just stop this" and after a few sentence I told her I have to hang up.
9) My first impression of the ADF was good. He seems nice. Then it turned hellish. We hated him, but you've got to give it to him for making us so fit. I was the first person to do 100 push ups, given by him!
10) After a while, flutter kicks were common, push ups were alright, 100 counts of 4 of jumping jacks are nothing.
11) I remember shivering like hell during our one and only swimming lesson cause it was at night.
12) During the last few nights before the end of the confinement week, I felt numb about missing home already.
13) BMT was the time I realised guys can be really so darn vain.
14) I remember doing Own Time Own Training with Tsun Wang, forcing him to train hard so that he can pass.
15) I always like to sit next to or opposite Tsun Wang at first, cause having somebody to talk to takes my mind off my civilian world outside.
16) I remember crawling through mud and water like it was natural. I didn't squirm, didn't scream, didn't complain. It was there, and I just know I have to go through it. Though I was so glad that we only had to do the combat aggression thing once.
17) I remember my OC telling us how the army fights and how we're all here to be trained to kill. My OC is a funny person. He always say "J-T-B ah, just too bad" "I don't kid you, you're here to learn to kill. If you don't kill your enemy, he will kill you"
18) OC gave us 5AX (5 advance exercise) as punishment for being late during field camp. It consisted of diamond push up, alternate leg thrust, jumping jacks, flutter kicks and can't remember what's the last one.
19) During field camp, I swear half the time I don't know where I am walking towards at night.
20) I remember how 3SG Au hao lian about having the camouflage scarf and we can't have it.
21) The basic close combat course was utterly stupid. And I was able to tell who had martial arts background just by looking.
22) I remember lots of guys baby crawling to the staircase outside after lights out to cut our nails after being punished earlier. The whole ninja thing after lights out was fun though its because we were never caught before
23) I like the days when training wasn't so harsh and we could sleep later. Daryl and I were always the last to brush our teeth. Sometimes he would sit on my bed and we would talk. That's the best time of the day.
24) I remember shouting at Daryl (well the whole bunk was shouting at him) for over using his powder. It was so hard to sweep it.
25) My birthday happened to be 2 days before POP and to date I don't know how my bunk found out. They totally kiwi-ed my butt in the day and camo-ed me at night. Weng Kin taped up my mouth like 6 times. I had to bathe after that and kept asking Daryl who was still brushing his teeth to help me check if there's any camo left.
26) Sports day was fun and I saw lots of friends in other companies. It rained and my bunk mates threatened to wipe my face with mud. Lol.
27) Chris once commented that I'm very poor thing cause I bring my PSP in every week but I always don't get to play it. It's always in the hands of my bunk mates.
28) I remember how one of the NSPS tried to teach us VP. Thinking back, he was such a noob.
29) I remember how we shouted and singed so loudly during POP. It was the best day.
30) There were lots of bodyguards on POP day sia...


BMT was a good time of my army life. It was harsh but fun and bonding as well. I really wanted life to be even harsher after BMT. (No I'm not a maniac.) I will never forget the MO who stubbornly refused to let me go to command school. Many times were good, like having the BIC as the finale of the field camp, the route marches, the times we spent in bunk challenging each other for the stripping of our rifles etc etc. I grew stronger, and I learnt to tolerate people, communal living, and being treated like some low class species. It was the grand opening of the 2 years. And the Section 3 I so loved paved the way.

No comments: