Sunday, December 06, 2009

Event: Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2009

It's 3.30am and I struggle to wake up. Frankly I was quite excited. I mean, this is the first time I'm running a full marathon, though I was alone. I started the race late, cause I was queuing for toilet. -_- Like lame right, but we all should know how it feels like to have the urge to use the loo when we're running. In the end I was 15mins late, it is really regrettable that I didn't witness the flagging off cause it sounded like everyone was darn high. Nonetheless I started running, with the pace of Chi Weng's 10km run. Shame, I know, but its 42.195km, so I knew I had to conserve my strength.

The first 10km was good. I've never felt so relaxed, though I completed my first 6km in like 40mins? I was so pissed off though at the group of guys who kept chanting "left, left, left right left". Ok seriously, I know you guys haven't ORD yet, but many people around you had and we're sick and tired of it. I just felt like yelling at them. Too bad I really didn't want to increase any speed any further, though eventually I did, to escape from this agonizing group of people. I ran alongside many people. Some overtook me, I overtook some. Everyone seems to be minding their own business, unlike the runs we had in camp. Everyone's running their own race, no one's trying too hard, but they all give off the same determined feeling.

After 12km, we went into East Coast Park, really, no other places feel as good to run. Amazing was the fact that the fastest runner were already on their way back when I entered East Coast. I was at my 12km at 1hr 30mins and they were already at their 35km. The fastest runner took 2hours 12mins. After 15km, I decided to walk 2 mins for every drink station, my knees had started aching, I really thought I wouldn't be able to complete, since it was like, 27km more to go. Then I realised that every time I walked, my knee recovered and I was able to press on. At first I really didn't want to walk, cause everyone is like running. But it was my race, I had to do it my way to make sure I will succeed. By the time I reached 18km, I felt tired. I missed the banana station. You had no idea how miserable I was, feeling hungry. But I pressed on. Many people were cheering. I remember that was this ang moh who was stationed at the start of East Coast first. He had this huge sign board, with some encouragement written and he was ringing a bell. I overheard from some people that he's here every year. This and many cute girls shouting funny encouragement really spurred me on.

At 22km, I finally reached the Power Gel station. I practically gobbled it up. Small, but better than nothing. I kept telling myself, if I was running a half marathon, it would have ended already. It was during this time when I started asking myself why am I torturing myself like that. But nonetheless I kept going, especially when I saw this Temasek JC guy who's an officer, whom I kinda dislike, running at the 16km mark. He's running towards the round about, I ran past the round about already. So in my mind I was saying "hah! officer so what, so damn slow, ocs teach you to be pussy issit". Lol. I saw Kelvin at 26km I think, the timing was about 3hrs 15mins. My ankles and soles were hurting too by then. At 30km, I saw Benjamin Tee and I rested for a while there. Time was 3 hours 45mins.

Beyond 30km, it was really a struggling time. My legs kept cramping up, my knees were heavy, my soles ache with every step. I started feeling a little breathless, which is bad considering I was running so slowly. On my way out of East Coast though, I saw that ang moh again. He had a board saying "this is no walking zone" and he was flashing the board to a lady who was walking and following her. But the lady after a few seconds showed him the middle finger. Everyone around laughed. Lol. He gasped and walked back. At 32km I saw Sarah and Wei Qin, who told me not to stop, but I was cramping up, so I had no choice. I also saw a kind lady who was giving out pocari sweat drinks. I really wanted to take but decided not to, after all many others need it more than me. At about 35km, my timing was already like 4hrs 30mins. I had been walking, jogging a little, and more walking. Stretching at the side of the road don't work anymore. It was pain, tons of pain. Finally I reached 38km where Hong You, Sok Loon and Zu Yao were. It was 5hrs. I just told myself, 4km in 30mins, I don't think I can make it, but I'll try.

At 39km, I saw Yong Wen and Wai Kit resting. I walked with them for quite a while before running again. Many people were trying to chiong by then. Finally, I reached 41km. On my way to the finishing line, I saw Alpha 2IC, and his hairy chest. That made me run all the way in. One point though, everyone slowed down, almost forming one line when entering the finishing line. Cause everyone wants their photo taken by the official photographer of the marathon. Lol.



I remember being at Nicoll highway, when it seems like there was no end.
I remember seeing sarah on my way to 10km mark but it was too dark to be sure.
I remember the white adidas singlet guy who ran ahead of me but I eventually caught up and overtook him and left him in the dust.
I remember a guy in tights and shades, a guy with big thighs, a lady with the encouragement bib written "Look alive", an old man with a bib saying that he aims to finish his 5th marathon under 5hrs 30mins, a guy in full red adidas gear, a guy running barefooted, all these people ran alongside me.
I remember the ang moh.
I remember the group of malay ladies who cheered loudly, telling us to finish it in 45mins at the 36km mark and I just thought "siao". But I'm still very grateful.
I remember the lady who gave out the pocari sweat.
I remember asking for 2 bananas at the banana station.
I remember not drinking any 100 plus at all cause I thought its carbonated until the 20th drink station.
I remember a female supporter asking us to remember each other's number then correcting herself saying bib number not handphone number.
I remember the emcee at East Coast Park cheering us on and gave many people high fives.
I remember the 45yr old lady running a marathon for the first time.
I remember a malay old lady who said she's running for DRAMA.
I remember thinking to myself, shit, how can I run slower than Chi Weng's speed.
I remember having the feeling that nobody here is even thinking of taking shortcuts or cheating, unlike certain some people I know in army.



I am a finisher of 42.195km. Many people showed me their spirit. That was my inspiration. Thank you all.





No comments: