Sunday, December 20, 2009

Event: Back With My Alma Mater

Friday night, I stepped into the familiar grounds that I spent 4 years of my life in. A bunch of people whom I do not know at all said hi to me. They called me by my name.

I came back, they saw me. They asked me to give a little talk. Willing or unwilling, I know not, but they asked.

I stepped into the building. A giant wall sized photo is printed on the front of the office. That's me on it, upper left hand corner, smiling.

I went into the room. They stared. I introduced myself, they seemed to know me already.

As I speak, we went through many photos. That's me, overall in charge of so many things.

As I share, memories came back. I was the demon, the extremist, the bad guy who committed so many crimes.

As I finished, they clapped. Gullible. To them there stood a man, old, but most experienced of them all.

Last month, I went back too, I was asked, why am I not part of the alumni? I'm high profile they say, I am expected to be in it.

My alma mater, 4 years of my life. On 31st December 2005, a great man left the school.


I AM LEGEND.






...
...
...

just joking.
Lol.



They say that I am a legend. Its partially true. True because I am so notorious for my almost-demonic actions as a disciplinarian. Only partially true as I am getting older, and they still have yet to build a statue for me. So it is only sooner or later that I am forgotten.

I am starting to regret agreeing to give a speech, and not preparing a script. Cause all I said was crap. I am old and have forgotten all that leadership bullcrap. But still, even if the talk for myself, it was good. Lots of memories which I have kept in the storeroom of my brain came back. I guess I'll just take it that the talk was for myself.

It was good to see many people, though I am really upset that so few of my cute beloved juniors went back. It's once a year after all. Many thanks to Hui Shan as well, who painstakely spent time to entertain an old man from 11.30pm to 12.30am so that I would miss my last bus. It was a noble sacrifice for her. I had a great chat with the kids. Really, I kept telling myself to not treat them as such anymore but that day, I was enlightened on why I still do so. Being around their childishness really, really makes me feel old though.


It's good going back. Until next year then. That is, if they haven't forgotten an old man like me.

No comments: