Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Brain Storm: Birthdays Galore

Yesterday, I saw one of my friends status update on Facebook. It says "so and so birthday today, so and so birthday today, so and so birthday today. so and so birthday today, so and so birthday today.. etc" He was exclaiming about how there's many people whose birthday falls today. It struck me that some people have an over reliance of tracking their friend's birthday using Facebook.

This year, majority of my peers are turning 21 years old. Earlier in the year, I had a resolution to remember as many birthdays as possible, and to wish them an awesome 21st. But alas I was naive. After seeing my friend's status, I remembered that there are people who don't have Facebook or do not put their birthdays on Facebook. Why, I am the perfect example. You won't find my birth date anywhere in the cloud (techiewen: Cloud refers to the internet, for eg, if you use gmail or hotmail, your emails are stored in the cloud rather than your PC). Despite this, I didn't realise it. Tsk tsk. Tonight I shall scan through my address book thoroughly.

Aside from that, there may also be times when you do not log onto your Facebook often or you may be too  tired to notice that a close friend's birthday is up and coming. In some cases, it would also be ideal for you to remember a friend's birthday way in advance if you need to plan a surprise or get a gift for your friend.

So do you totally depend on Facebook to remember your friends' birthday? Or do you have other ways to remind yourself, such as a diary or handphone reminders?

No comments: