Monday, March 22, 2010

Brain Storm: Loyal To My School

Have you graduated from your secondary school/junior college? (sorry poly folks, I'm not sure if you guys have a school song)

Do you still remember your school song?

2 weeks ago, I went for a musical put up my by alma mater. It was nice to see so many juniors supporting this (ultra expensive) musical. I felt age was really catching up to me, since there was a time when I knew almost everyone at a concert but now I know almost no one at all. The musical was also part of the celebration for the school's 65th anniversary. The last concert I went to was meant to celebrate the school's 60th anniversary. My gosh, 5 years have passed. Did I have these wrinkles on my face back then?

I shall not talk about the musical in detail. I will just say that next year onwards I'll just buy the ticket and donate it to the school for students who can't afford it. My dear juniors should consider rehearsing for the gift presentation to the VIPs next time, at any rate.When the concert ended, it was time for the student audience to sing the school song. I was surprised that I still remember the lyrics quite well (hey I swear I didn't rely on the on screen lyrics that much). But what was even more surprising was that everyone sang the school song really loud. So much for all the "rebellious students nowadays who do not show appreciation to their school". I dare not say this shows my juniors are loyal to our school and appreciate it. But I am proud of my juniors for being able to do at least this bit. 

I am very proud of my secondary school. We have a relatively rich history. We have a extremely good reputation. We are value added. We have tons of awards. We have a holistic approach in education. The thousand plus people who put Xinmin as their first choice of secondary school and the long queue of parents waiting to appeal their child in shows how good my school is. That said, not every student in the world will love their school just because of this. 

What makes one appreciate his/her school? Whether it is studying opportunities, the teachers, the friends, the leadership chances, the environment, the reputation, the pride of a school comes from the identity. Do you identify yourself with the school, as the school? Only when you feel that you are one with the school, that it is your home, can you truly be sure that you appreciate it, that you are proud of it. I am grateful to Xinmin because it really shaped me to be who I am today. My school took care of me during my fragile teenage years. It helped me in a way no other school could and would. My friends, the leadership opportunities given to me and the results I've gotten all came from my identity. Xinmin has brought all its students together. Our alumni is really strong and banded too.

And then, we sang at the top of our voices, the students, the teachers, and the graduated Xinmin students, as one.

Xinmin, Xinmin~


P.S. yes that is how my school song ends.

No comments: