Saturday, April 24, 2010

Brain Storm: Rationalising

I used to be a relationship-problem-confidant cum love guru cum advisor. No, don't give me that awed, surprised look, I swear I'll punch you in the face.

When I told my friend who has a girlfriend of 3 years that, he was surprised at first (no I nearly punched him but I didn't). But he admitted that its possible for that to happen, because I am a very analytical and rational person. Usually people only come to me when they have problems with their relationship. And in the midst of all that lovey dovey, stupid, blinding, whatever mysterious powers love have, what someone needs is a calm, rational, partial person to analyse the situation and tell them in the face that he/she sucks and his/her girlfriend/boyfriend sucks even harder and he/she should just dump his/her girlfriend/boyfriend. And it works most of the time. When a person is hurt, confused, the person usually seeks out an opinion of the mind, not the heart. And I can give them that. And my friend agrees wholeheartedly. I am someone who breaks down the story into logical parts and make quick work of any confusing part. (furthermore, I tend to understand more of a fickle female's thinking)

However as time passes, people grow up, and they start to think "hey, this guy has never been in a relationship before, he wouldn't understand". I started to realise that I am facing this problem increasingly and more friends start saying "you wouldn't know" or "you don't understand de lah" to me. And all I can say is "yeah, I don't", simply because I don't. Then there goes my status as a top notch love consultant.

But my friend do agree that, in times of need, a rational mindset is required to let a confused heart know what is truly good for him/her, in the long run, and help them make that important decision (oh I don't always give the break-or-not advices, more of a general course of action one should take kind of thing). Bless my talent.

No comments: