Saturday, April 17, 2010

Rambling: I Help Because I Am Obliged To Help You, NOT

Obliged.
v.
1) To constrain by physical, legal, social or moral means.

This is the definition according to thefreedictionary.com.

Yeah you read that right. According to the definition, I am not obliged to help anyone. I am referring to the Singapore Kindness Movement's strong urge to Singaporeans to lend a helping hand to people around you when kindness is needed. From ever since I remember, I always open doors for people, even if they don't really need it, I always give up my seats for the needy. But I have never feel bounded by some physical, legal, social or moral reason to help them. I just... help them, you know?

Herein lies the big problem, with me. I don't smile. Okay, actually I do. But when I smile, other people say I am not smiling. When I don't smile, people tell me that I look like they owe me a lot of money and I have a knife in my hand and I am eyeing them a message which goes something like "you better f***ing pay me my money now or i'll chop off your limps and burn your house down." So sometimes I have to tell myself to smile "hard", which then makes me look like a retard. Anyhow, the point is, whenever I open the door for someone, and the other party says thanks, I either ignore (because I think its lame to thank such a small gesture), or I say no problem and smile. Yes, smile, which looks like me looking at them as if they owe me a lot of money and I have a knife in my hand and I am eyeing them a message which goes something like "you better f***ing pay me my money now or i'll chop off your limps and burn your house down," EXCEPT that I also said no problem. This doesn't bother except when I saw the appreciative smile of the other party coming off their faces when they saw my expression.

DO NOT discriminate me. I am born like that! I did not want this face of mine. So please do not think I am obliged to help you due to some physical, legal, social or moral grounds. I am not obliged to help you. Go judge the other guy who slammed the door in your face please.

No comments: