Monday, February 22, 2010

Brain Storm: I'll Be There For You, Not Be There For Me

When I was in Sec 3, my friend got into a pretty bad cycling accident. A small section of his forearm was smashed. He was hospitalised, needless to say. We were all kinda worried.

Then came one day, another friend suggested visiting him, and tons of his other friends whom I do not know are going as well. I hesitated, and I said "but there's so many of his friends going and I don't know them". I was put off by the fact that I have to be surrounded by strangers. Then one of our mutual friend muttered, "are you going there to see him? Or are you going there to see his friends? Why are you hesitating?"

I was shocked. And I was ashamed of myself. I was supposed to go visit my friend. I'm not going there for my own sake, but for his. Why did I need to care who were there?

Years down the road, it becomes common. When a gathering comes along, people start asking, "erm, so who's going?" Usually, this means that this person more or less will not be attending the gathering. A gathering is but one of the many. And then there are departures, or events of great significance.

"So who's going?" Not you, that's for sure.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

That's not necessarily true,sometimes it is to make plans, to confirm travelling possibilities and maybe even to organise gift purchase?

A little positivity? :]

chinychinchin

techiewen said...

I generalised, but there are people who reek of that feeling.

wugui_turtle35 said...

True True

I found myself guilty when I see this post.

techiewen said...

Haha dont think too much ya.