Thursday, February 11, 2010

Tech Speak: Making A Google Buzz

At 9am today, My Google Buzz was activated. Okay, it might have been activated earlier but I was sleeping. It works much like Twitter, you follow people, people follow you. But there's no 140 letters limit (something I really dislike in Twitter, it could have been just a little longer you know). You can share links right on, and the links shows a little preview. You can also link some web services to share on your Buzz automatically. The web services shown on my Gmail includes Picasa, Flickr, Twitter, Youtube. Blogspot, Google Talk and Google Reader. I use almost all of them regularly apart from Flickr and Google Talk. I daresay though, that I wouldn't want every single one of my blog post, tweets and photo uploads to appear on Buzz. Sometimes I tweet and post some personal thoughts which I don't think everyone will be interested in. Somehow though, my tweets and Google Reader stuff hasn't appeared on my Buzz. It's not like I have a lot of followers on Buzz now but still...

Chin Hua told me he's buzzing too but the friends suggestion tool in Buzz doesn't seem to be working well. I can only search from my Google Contacts and for eg. Chin Hua has 3 email addresses and I don't know which one he uses to Buzz. Another feature I hope to see is to be able to control which tweets and blog post to appear on my Buzz. I don't think that's too hard for blogspot since Google owns blogspot but it might be of an issue with Flickr and Twitter. Last but not least, I think I would appreciate it Buzz hides part of the buzzes to say a standard length. Shortening it will decrease load time and considering that we can share even Youtube videos and pictures on Buzz, I think load time will become significant.


Will be back with more.

No comments: