Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Tech Speak: Make A Google Buzz

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/introducing-google-buzz.html

Here it is, this is Google's answer to online social networking. (actually Google has a social networking portal call Orkut but I think it kind of sucks, appearance wise at least, havn't explored much yet).

Google Buzz is integrated into Gmail and will be rolled out to users within the next few days. You can create a buzz from Gmail to start interesting conversations with others where you can share with them and they will see it. You can set your buzzes to be public or just within your circle of friends. Unlike Twitter, you can comment right on the buzz, attach photos, videos, links etc.

The mobile form of Google Buzz has an extra feature and that is geotagging. Geotagging seems to be the next big thing for Google, along with their I'm A Favourite Place On Google, Google Goggles (http://infinitelyme.blogspot.com/2009/12/tech-speak-put-on-your-goggles-from.html), Google Maps (where you get Geotag your favourite locations) etc. So create a buzz say when you were at Rocher's Soyabean snack house and it'll show right on the buzz where exactly you had it.

Take note though, geotagging in the form of social networking is not a good thing. I have heard of a website that mimics Twitter, only that you tell people where you are. It's sort of Google Buzz too. However when I first heard of that, I kind of didn't like it cause the whole world will know where you are, including people you dislike and your enemies. But Google Buzz will allow you to choose who you share it with, I hope. I havn't gotten it yet, I sure hope they do soon! I'll be back for more.

No comments: