Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Tech Speak: A Phone With A Keyboard, NOT

Have I grumbled before about how frustrated I am that HTC is not coming up with an Android phone that I'll be satisfied with this year?

My ideal smartphone is one that is
1) Android based
2) Has capacitive screen (AMOLED is a bonus)
3) At least 3.2inch diagonally
4) Has a qwerty keyboard
5) Is made by HTC or Google-based

I prefer HTC because it's build quality is solid. There's also plenty of reviews saying that HTC has among the best qwerty keyboards around. I'm a Google fan, so Android is a natural choice. 3.2inch screen is really the smallest I can accept. I really want a qwerty keyboard because I don't like virtual keyboard (that said I don't like capacitive buttons too but I can make do with it).

I would want to use the HTC G1 Dream. But it's old, slow and not compatible with the latest Android OS. The next closest option is HTC Touch Pro2 but it runs on windows mobile and the processor is considered slow too. I'm not that fussy I guess and since I'm going to root it anyway most likely if I get a Touch Pro2 it will become Android. Frankly I was overjoyed when I heard that the Nexus One's Google Voice is rather accurate. But the thought of not being able to blog or tweet by voice when surrounded by people (I'll get embarrassed) is a turn off. I still prefer to type.

Geez, which one should I get? The closest upgrade to the G1 is HTC Lancaster but it only has a 3inch screen, has a slow processor too so I don't really think it's that much of an upgrade. Maybe I should just get the G1 and wait another year.

No comments: